About the instructor
Shaikh Musleh Khan was born in Madinah, Saudi Arabia. He was raised and is currently residing in Toronto, Canada. At college he studied computer programming and then went to work as a Fraud analyst.
In 2002 Shaikh Musleh was accepted at the Islamic University of Madinah where he completed a diploma in Arabic followed by a BA in Islamic Law from the faculty of Da'wah and Usool al-deen. He memorised the Qur'an with an ijaza and has completed a complete study of Sahih al-Bukhari.
Shaikh Musleh undertook a study of various Islamic books including those on Fiqh, Hadith, Aqidah, Tafsir. Futhermore, he took classes with various prominent scholars in the course of his time in Madinah, including Sheikh Mukhtar Al-Shanqiiti, Sheikh Muhsin Al-Abaad, Sheikh Abd al-Razak, and Sheikh Muhammad Shafi among others.
Upon graduating in 2011 he has returned to Canada and has plans to pursue a Masters at York University, Toronto. He has been very active in the Toronto vicinity for more than 10 years, having conducted khutbahs, classes, lectures and conferences, as well as various Islamic Intensive programs in the United States. Shaikh Musleh enjoys long-distance running and basketball. He loves to read and write in addition to spending time preparing for classes in Toronto where he and his wife reside.
Surah Maidah was revealed in Madina soon after the Treaty of Hudaibiyah, towards the end of the 6th year of Hijrah and the beginning of the 7th year of Hijrah. In this Surah there is a verse (5:3) that is believed to be the last verse revealed to the Prophet (s). The Surah consists of 120 verses in 16 sections.
This chapter is the 4th of the 4 large Madani surahs in the beginning of the Qur'an.
- It is the end of the Madani series before we enter the Makkan garden of surahs.
- This is one of the last surahs to be revealed. It is primarily dealing with finishing touches of the Shariah, parting advice from Allah along with His glad tidings.
1. Dietary rulings, business transactions, agreements and halal/haram.
2. Guidance and blessing of wudu, Command to abide by justice.
3. Allah's covenant with the Bani Israel.
4. Musa (as) and his interactions with Bani Israel.
5. Post Marital relationships and what it entails. A detailed study of Marriage with the Ahlul Kitaab.
6. Analysis of the story of the two children of Adam.
7. Guidance for Muslims on peaceful co-existence with citizens of Madinah, including the people of the book.
8. Types of Oaths with Allah's name and the consequence for not fulfilling those oaths.
9. Prohibition against intoxicants, gambling and shirk.
10. Respect and the ultimate purpose of the Ka'ba.
11. Introduction to Jesus (as) and a detailed look at the concept of Miracles, particularly the Miracles of Jesus himself.
12. A closer study at verses found in this surah that are often abused and/or misunderstood.
.. and so much more.
With approximately 40 distinct themes, this Surah holds the parting message of Allah to Mankind. It also gives the student a detailed study of Halal/Haram to the extent that Aisha (r) once said " If anyone wishes to learn Fiqh of Islam, then study surah Al-Maidah ".
A must study for all students!